Hyphenation may depend on whether term is adjective, verb, or noun
Some terms are:
- Hyphenated when used as an adjective
- Write end-user documentation.
- One or two words when used as a noun
- Write documentation for the end user.
- Two words when used as a verb
back-end (adjective), back end (noun)
back-up back up (verb), backup (adjective, noun)
pushbutton push-button (adjective) push button (noun)
read only read-only (adjective, noun)
setup (noun), set up (verb)
shut down (verb), shutdown (noun)
stand alone, standalone stand-alone workstation (adjective; not used as noun)
up to date software up-to-date software (adjective), up to date (noun)