Four nominalization patterns
Subject + “to be” (or empty verb) + nominalization
- Incorrect: DistribSoft is used for the distribution of software.
- Correct: DistribSoft distributes software.
There is/are/were + nominalization
- Incorrect: There is a need for the program to be saved.
- Correct: The program must be saved.
Nominalization + “to be”
- Incorrect: Clarity is the emphasis of a writer.
- Correct: A writer emphasizes clarity.
Nominalization + “to be” + nominalization
- Incorrect: The discussion of this document is an analysis of the program.
- Correct: This document analyzes the program’s overview.